More from @FreedomofPress
A tweetstorm from
Freedom of the Press
6 months ago — @FreedomofPress
1. On election night, we wrote that Donald Trump is an enemy of press freedom unlike any president in modern history
2. The breadth and scope of Trump’s disdain for the First Amendment is almost hard to quantify. But we’re going to try right here.
3. Trump said he would "open up libel laws" so he can "can sue [news orgs covering him] and win lots of money"
4. During his campaign, Trump threatened to sue journalists or news orgs over a dozen times (that we know of)
5. Trump has threatened to sue the @NYTimes and @WashingtonPost multiple times, plus @AP, @thedailybeast, @RollingStone, @HuffingtonPost...
6. ...@NBC, the National Hispanic Media Coalition, his former ghostwriter @tonyschwartz , author @DavidCayJ, and likely others we don't know
7. Trump's wife Melania Trump has threatened to sue at least nine news orgs, and actually filed a lawsuit against the Daily Mail & a blogger
8. She even threatened @people for merely describing when she allegedly bumped into a person on the street years ago
9. One of Trump’s key transition members Peter Thiel secretly funded lawsuits to bankrupt a major news org this year
10. Trump’s camp banned so many journalists from campaign events that it was almost impossible to keep track.
11. Trump publicly attacked many journalists by name at events, in behavior unseen on the campaign trail since Nixon
12. A VICE reporter was arrested at a Trump campaign event while merely seeking media credentials.
13. After a terrorist attack in NYC in September, Trump blamed the bombings on "freedom of the press"
14. Just a few weeks ago, Trump opined on why the First Amendment has "too much protection" for free speech
15. There’s no telling what Trump will do when he’s in office. But we promise @FreedomofPress will be there to fight any attack on the press
16. Please consider donating to fight Trump’s attacks on press freedom. We need your help now more than ever.